The accurate plotting and navigating of courses relies heavily on accurate mapping. Although predominantly left to the Stellar Cartography department it is important that a Helmsman has a knowledge of the various objects and phenomena one may encounter while serving at the Con/Helm .
A quarter of the Galaxy. The four quadrants are designated as Alpha, Beta, Delta, Gamma. Only a small section of each Quadrant has been explored. - MAP
- One Quarter of the Milky Way Galaxy including the Federation, Cardasian, and Ferengi space, as well as small groups such as the Bajorans, Talosians, Tholians, and Marquee. It is where Earthís sun Sol is located. It is where the USS Sutherland was last actively stationed.
- One Quarter of the Milky Way Galaxy including the Federation, Klingons, and Romulan space, as well as small groups such as the Organians. This is the current location of the USS Explorer, and suspected Lyan Territories. The USS Sutherland was drydocked here as well in 2385.
- One Quarter of the Milky Way Galaxy including the Borg and El Aurian space, as well as small groups such as the occasional Federation castaways. It is relatively inaccessible. This is where the ST:Voyager Series is set.
- One Quarter of the Milky Way Galaxy including the Dominion, and Founder space, as well as small groups such as the Tosk. It is where the Bajoran Wormhole leads.
Sectors are just a way of defining a location. The designation of sector names are pretty arbitrary, so must be left to the administration. In terms of setting a course, it is more usual for a it to be set to a specific system rather than a sector. In some circumstances, such as exploration of an uncharted region, a sector can be designated. In short, sector information is only really useful for noting what has been found, and where.
- Sector 2520
- Location of Relay Station 47 on the Klingons/Federation border. It is the closest communication relay to the Klingon Empire, and the only link between the USS Explorer and the Federation. The USS Sutherland picked up itís load of Engineering Nanites from here.
Planets, systems, or any other object that a vessel will need to consider when plotting a course may be considered a stellar body. Here follows a list of a few of the bodies you may need to be aware of.
Under the command of Fleet Admiral Brackett, it is positioned at the far edge of Federation space it is the closest base to the Organian home world. The USS Sutherland picked up the last of their crew from this place, before moving on to the New Territories . It was initially planed that this would be the base of operations from which the USS Sutherland would work until the area they were to explore was changed.
Also under the command of Fleet Admiral Brackett, it is positioned on the Klingons/Federation border it is close to Romulan space. It has an extensive refit facility at which the USS Sutherland was stationed while serving in the Romulan blockade during the Klingons Civil War, under Acting Captain Data.
Positioned on the Klingons/Federation border near Relay Station 47, this is an experimental research facility specialising in robotics and automation. The USS Sutherland was returned to drydock here in 2385 for extended experimentaition.
Home planet of the Trill Species and one of the Federations last major refuelling and refit stations on the way to the galactic rim.
Fourth closest stars to the Sol system at 7.8 light years away, and the sight of the historic last stand by Starfleet in 2367 against the Borg to defend Earth. 40 Vessels massed an onslaught onto a single Borg ship and all were destroyed, including the USS Melbourne.
- An almost infinite variety of planetary bodies exist, but they may all be loosely categorised into 16 Classes.
- Psi 2000 Nebular
- Sight of the ancient Psi 2000 virus incident in Star Trek Original Series. The Sun went nova around 100 years ago.